Monday 4 May 2015

April Wrap Up and May TBR












It's gearing up towards exam season and I haven't had an awful lot of time to get any reading done. But I still managed to read a novel, a novella and a manga, so I'm feeling pretty good about my reading levels this month. 

May has a TON of amazing books being released that I can't wait to read, so my TBR is going to be quite juicy. Enjoy!

Let's kick it off with the first book I read in April: Death Note Volume 7: Zero by Tsgumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata.
After volume 6's action-packed ending, I was really excited to start this one. Despite the slow decline in my attention towards Death Note, Zero was quite the book. This volume was more dedicated to character than action, especially as the whole volume was building up to the death of a character, who I will not name. After reading this, I wasn't sure how the series could continue, but I've just started volume 8 and things are picking right back up!


The next book I read was one that I received an e-book of from NetGalley. This is Summoner: The Novice by Taran Matharu.

Just a side note: Taran Matharu is great at interacting with fans of his book. Within hours of posting a review on Goodreads, I received a message thanking me.

The Novice has fast become one of my favourite books of the year, and I'm sure it will make my 2015 Favourites. 

If the cover wasn't enough to draw me in to requesting this book, the fact that this book was a Wattpad hit would have done the job.

The Novice is centered around an orphan named Fletcher, who comes across a scroll that leads him to find out that he can summon demons!

Summoners are a rare thing in the world of The Novice, and Fletcher- who is on the run after an unfortunate incident in his home village of Pelt- is enrolled in Vocans, the school for would-be summoners.

Also in the small population of Vocans are high-borns, commoners, an elf and a dwarf! One thing I loved about this book is that the characters, especially the main ones, were very likable. They all had distinct goals, many of which related to the unstable politics of their world, and tried their best to achieve them.

If I had to compare this book to others, I'd say that this is a good mix between Lord of the Rings and The Golden Compass (Northern Lights).


The last book I read this month was the novella, Summoner: Origins - a prequel to The Novice. As soon as I finished TN, I started browsing things related to the book and came across this novella for free on Amazon! I downloaded and read it straight away.

Not only was it free, this novella is about one of the most intriguing characters from The Novice, Arcturus. This book focuses on how Arcturus came to be a summoner and the troubles he faced when he first came to Vocans.

I loved seeing little details that linked to The Novice, such as how Arcturus and Lovett know each other.

This book would be great for anyone who wants a great introduction to the Summoner trilogy!








The first book in my TBR for may is End of Days by Susan Ee. I read the first two books in the Penryn and the End of Days trilogy toward the start of the year and I can't wait until End of Days is released. I really feel for the people that have been waiting an entire year for the last installment.








The next book I'm planning to read in May is A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas. I'm getting a real Sansa Stark vibe from the gorgeous cover art! I love anything and everything to do with beauty and the beast, so I'm super excited to read this!








What did you read in April? What are you planning to read this month? Comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment